Tuesday 20 February 2018

Book Club 52 - Week 8/52

"When Justin walks out on Alice on their honeymoon, with no explanation apart from a cryptic note, Alice is left alone and bewildered, her life in pieces.

Then she meets Evelyn, a visitor to the gallery where she works. It’s a seemingly chance encounter, but Alice gradually learns that Evelyn has motives, and a heartbreaking story, of her own. And that story has haunting parallels with Alice’s life" Goodreads Synopsis


Not the most gripping of stories I have read, but I did enjoy the characters and the waves of emotion in the story, especially when Evelyn recounts her life.  I did determine what the link was going to be between the women before I even reached the half way mark and exclaimed a "ha!... knew it!" to myself very happily when I was right. I think maybe I read this one too fast or that the story was weighted more to one woman than the other I'm not sure, just didn't quite feel balanced to me but nevertheless it was still a nice easy read. I think I do agree with other views that perhaps just the story of Evelyn would have been enough - those were my favourite parts if I am honest.

I read this book so quickly I think because I was eager to read Marx Girl which is the latest in a series of books by T.L.Swan (which I started last year with Dr Stanton).   I may have devoured this book as well this week and totally agree with my friend Tracy who has also read them who said "I love that each story in this series is stand alone, yet all linked with characters I've fallen in love with". I read this book so late in to the night that I was a virtual zombie the day after through lack of sleep but I loved it! Totally recommend this and the other Stanton series of books by T L Swan.


No comments:

Post a Comment